Sunday, February 8, 2026

Is it ok to be mad at God?

Recently, I was approached by a man experiencing homelessness who asked me a sincere and weighty question: “Is it okay to be mad at God?” He didn’t ask it casually, his voice carried years of struggle, disappointment, and pain. I could tell this wasn’t just a passing thought. It was a cry from the depths of someone wrestling with life’s hardest realities.

Before answering, I asked if I could be completely honest. He nodded and told me that’s exactly what he wanted. My initial instinct was to give a straightforward response, but I paused and thought for a moment. Instead, I responded with a question of my own: “Are you mad at God, or are you mad at your situation?”

What he said next surprised even him.

He looked down and quietly admitted, “I guess I’m mad at my situation. But God just feels like an easy target.”

That moment opened the door to a much deeper conversation, one that touched on faith, frustration, accountability, and ultimately, hope. We sat and talked at length about choices. Not all situations are the result of our own actions, but many times, our circumstances are shaped by the series of decisions we’ve made along the way. And it’s important to acknowledge that each decision carries consequences, some good, some bad, some seen immediately, and some not for years.

I shared a scripture that has guided me through difficult seasons: Deuteronomy 30:19  “I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your seed.”

This verse reminds us that while we are not in control of everything, we are given the power of choice. We can choose obedience or disobedience, wisdom or impulse, forgiveness or bitterness. And while the path of obedience doesn’t guarantee an easy life, it does position us under God’s provision and guidance.

As we continued talking, I could see a shift beginning. He started to reflect, not just on what had happened to him, but on the choices he had made in response. He began to take ownership, not in a way that condemned him, but in a way that empowered him to make different decisions moving forward.

One important truth we landed on together was this: Living according to God’s will doesn’t fix everything the way we want it to be fixed. Faith isn’t a magic formula for comfort or success. It’s not about avoiding hardship, it’s about finding purpose and peace in the midst of it. God doesn’t promise to remove every obstacle, but He does promise to walk with us through every valley.

Being mad at God isn’t uncommon. The Psalms are filled with moments where David cried out in anger, confusion, and grief. God is big enough to handle our honesty, but He also invites us to dig deeper and examine the root of our frustration. Often, we discover that we’re not angry at God’s character, we’re just hurting from life’s brokenness, much of which stems from our own or others’ choices.

That conversation didn’t end with all the answers tied up in a neat bow. But it did end with something far more powerful: a sense of clarity, an open heart, and a glimpse of hope. And sometimes, that’s exactly where healing begins.

In a world that often offers shallow sympathy or empty advice, may we learn to sit with people in their pain, ask thoughtful questions, and gently point them toward truth, truth that brings life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God Did Not Give You the Business to Build. He Gave You the Business to Build You.

 I want to talk to you man to man for a few minutes. Not as someone who has it figured out. As someone who has been in the middle of exactly...